Fried rice fried right
This simple recipe is perfect for those days when you don’t feel like going to the grocery store to pick up those extra ingredients.
1 cup rice (or 3 cups already-cooked rice)
4 tbsp vegetable oil
¼ – ½ lb. chicken, cut into thin strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped coarsely
1 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup leftover or frozen vegetables,
(such as oriental mix or peas,
green beans, and carrots)
2 eggs, beaten
1. Cook rice.
2. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet.
3. Add chicken, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, sugar, and soy sauce.
4. Stir-fry chicken until hot and tender.
5. Add cooked rice and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
6. Add vegetables and stir well into rice-meat mixture.
7. Just before serving, stir eggs carefully into rice, coating as much rice as possible, until eggs are cooked.
Simple savory salad
Here is a tasty and colourful salad that is sure to tantalize your taste buds and renew your love for leafy greens!
1 package of mixed greens, washed
1 bell pepper, diced
1 carrot, shredded
½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup sunflower seeds, toasted
½ cup olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp dried onion flakes
Wash and prepare all the salad ingredients and place in a large bowl. Set aside. Mix together all dressing ingredients and let sit for 20 minutes to allow flavours to blend. Toss the salad and add the dressing. Enjoy!