Curiosity Delivers.

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Sirah Diarra

Basketball wasn’t always in the cards for Martlet basketball centre Sirah Diarra. The 6’1” fourth-year transfer tried her hand at a variety of sports, including soccer, tennis, and figure skating, before joining her high school basketball team. She was not solely focused on sports: Diarra also devoted her time to music. “I used to play… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Daniel Adesegun

After suffering two injuries in his first university season at the University of Calgary, third-year transfer running back Daniel Adesegun was unsure if he would ever play football again. But, now that he has completed two standout seasons at McGill, it is clear that Adesegun successfully kicked off a new chapter in his athletic and… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Tia Lore

Fourth-year Martlet winger Tia Lore is at a pivotal point in her athletic career. With only one season of McGill soccer left, Lore is both reflecting on her time as a student athlete and looking ahead to her post-university future. But before her career in university athletics, the Richmond, British Columbia native grew up surrounded… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Emilie Matte de Grasse

Fifth-year power hitter Emilie Matte De Grasse grew up already immersed in the sporting world. Her mother was a physical education teacher; her father was a hockey player. Now, Matte de Grasse is in her 13th volleyball season, but before volleyball, she practiced other sports, too. “I did gymnastics when I was younger, but I… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Alex Paquin

Alex Paquin, the McGill men’s team’s fifth-year starting point guard from Candiac, Quebec, began his athletic career in a different sport: Baseball. At age seven, Paquin’s brother—who went on to play baseball in university—introduced him to basketball. “I was playing [basketball] everywhere [after that], in the park, at home,” Paquin said. “I was just this… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Tomas Jirousek

Tomas Jirousek is an indigenous athlete from the Kainai First Nation, a nation of the Blackfoot Confederacy. He is leading the #ChangeTheName campaign and demonstration on Oct. 31 at McGill that call for the university to change the varsity men’s sports teams’ ‘Redmen’ name. When he’s not making waves on campus, Jirousek makes waves on… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Meggie Dargis

With her first-place individual finish at the Sherbrooke Open, fourth-year cross country star and finance major Meggie Dargis helped lead the McGill Martlets to victory on Sept. 29. She slowed down for a moment to talk to The McGill Tribune about her love of running. Dargis first began running cross-country in her hometown of Trois-Rivières, Quebec,… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: June Gleed

Typically, golf is not the first sport to come to mind when thinking of McGill athletics. However, fourth-year June Gleed made waves on the McGill athletic scene when she hit a hole-in-one at the Omnium Rouge-et-Or on Aug. 30 in Quebec City—the first ever for McGill golf. For Gleed, a native of Newmarket, Ontario, golfing… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Lisa Nakajima

When Lisa Nakajima, U3 Anatomy and Cell Biology, watched Canadian skaters Jamie Salé and David Pelletier perform at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, she knew she wanted to participate in the sport. Now, Nakajima is co-captain of the McGill figure skating club—a competitive club consisting of 17 skaters. “I just watched them… Keep Reading

1 2 3 4
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top