Curiosity Delivers.

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Emilie Matte de Grasse

Fifth-year power hitter Emilie Matte De Grasse grew up already immersed in the sporting world. Her mother was a physical education teacher; her father was a hockey player. Now, Matte de Grasse is in her 13th volleyball season, but before volleyball, she practiced other sports, too. “I did gymnastics when I was younger, but I… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Alex Paquin

Alex Paquin, the McGill men’s team’s fifth-year starting point guard from Candiac, Quebec, began his athletic career in a different sport: Baseball. At age seven, Paquin’s brother—who went on to play baseball in university—introduced him to basketball. “I was playing [basketball] everywhere [after that], in the park, at home,” Paquin said. “I was just this… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Tomas Jirousek

Tomas Jirousek is an indigenous athlete from the Kainai First Nation, a nation of the Blackfoot Confederacy. He is leading the #ChangeTheName campaign and demonstration on Oct. 31 at McGill that call for the university to change the varsity men’s sports teams’ ‘Redmen’ name. When he’s not making waves on campus, Jirousek makes waves on… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Meggie Dargis

With her first-place individual finish at the Sherbrooke Open, fourth-year cross country star and finance major Meggie Dargis helped lead the McGill Martlets to victory on Sept. 29. She slowed down for a moment to talk to The McGill Tribune about her love of running. Dargis first began running cross-country in her hometown of Trois-Rivières, Quebec,… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: June Gleed

Typically, golf is not the first sport to come to mind when thinking of McGill athletics. However, fourth-year June Gleed made waves on the McGill athletic scene when she hit a hole-in-one at the Omnium Rouge-et-Or on Aug. 30 in Quebec City—the first ever for McGill golf. For Gleed, a native of Newmarket, Ontario, golfing… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Lisa Nakajima

When Lisa Nakajima, U3 Anatomy and Cell Biology, watched Canadian skaters Jamie Salé and David Pelletier perform at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, she knew she wanted to participate in the sport. Now, Nakajima is co-captain of the McGill figure skating club—a competitive club consisting of 17 skaters. “I just watched them… Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Know Your Athlete: Melodie Daoust

“I’m going to miss being part of a big family,” McGill Martlet Hockey captain and centre Mélodie Daoust said, looking back on her five years with the team. Daoust hasn’t always seen McGill this way. She knew she wanted to pursue higher education at a top Canadian school, but coming from Valleyfield, QC, the transition to living in Montreal was tough. Keep Reading

Know Your Athlete

Redmen help Canada take bronze at FISU Winter University Games

When one thinks of the ideal venue for the International University Sports Federation (FISU) 2017 Winter University Games, Kazakhstan probably isn’t the hockey mecca that comes to mind. However, for McGill Redmen Hockey centre Mathieu Pompei and defenceman Nathan Chiarlitti, the opportunity to head to the Kazakh city of Almaty to represent Canadian universities was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Keep Reading

1 2 3 4
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top