Curiosity Delivers.

Film and TV

Placeholder

The best and worst of 2018

Best Albums: 1. Be the Cowboy, Mitski Sad indie kids have traded their beanies for cowboy hats, wallowing in perhaps the most beautiful auditory manifestation of sadness to ever have graced the radio waves. Hive Mind, The Internet   2. Hive Mind, The Internet This summer, the Internet brought the world an R&B collection of… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Where does ‘Roma’ belong?

With new streaming platforms appearing left and right, the battle for viewers’ attention has become increasingly diffuse. And with more and more content to sift through on a daily basis right from the comfort of one’s couch, the movie theatre’s centrality in the cultural zeitgeist has taken a major hit. It has become a major source of debate: As movies assimilate further into the household, studios will cater their projects to that kind of viewing experience. Keep Reading

Film and TV

RIDM offers stunning portraits of humanity

The 2018 Rencontres Internationale du Documentaire de Montreal (RIDM) took viewers on an unconventional cinematic journey. In ReMell Ross’ Hale County This Morning, This Evening the director takes a job as a teacher and basketball coach in small-town Alabama, while Distant Constellation sees Mizrahi visiting residents in a Turkish retirement home. Such themes may not be typical subject matter for the big screen, perhaps; but anything goes at RIDM, the documentary film festival which brings stories from every nook and cranny of the globe to theatres around Montreal. Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Suspiria’ dances to a vicious conclusion

Suspiria, Luca Guadagnino’s remake, or ‘cover version,’ as he calls it, of Dario Argento’s 1977 horror classic, is a hard pivot from both its source material and Guadagnino’s previous film, Call Me By Your Name. Whereas those films isolated their characters to watch the play of emotions in specific environs—CMBYN in a bourgeois summer home… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘First Man’ shoots straight for the moon

Halfway through First Man, Janet Shearon (Claire Foy), wife of astronaut Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling), confronts a NASA official (Kyle Chandler) to demand information about her husband after a near-fatal test mission. Her response to the official’s attempt at reassurance is one of the film’s more memorable lines. “You’re a bunch of boys making models… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Dollar Cinema screens cult classic ‘Hausu’

On Oct. 31, Dollar Cinema hosted a special Halloween screening of Hausu, a 1977 Japanese cult horror film directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi. The film follows a schoolgirl named Gorgeous who, upon discovering her father’s impending remarriage, travels with six friends to vacation at her aunt’s haunted country house. Although the trope of the haunted house… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Mid90s’ tugs at familiar heartstrings

“I think it’s really dope that times are changing,” a grinning Jonah Hill said in an interview with the hosts of New York City-based radio show The Breakfast Club. In lieu of introducing himself, the 34-year-old actor-turned-director launched into a monologue about how exciting it is that counter-culture-centred media outlets are finally featuring mainstream celebrities.… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Halloween’ is a fresh remake with substance and style

Halloween (2018), the reboot of John Carpenter’s 1978 horror classic of the same name, combines expert filmmaking and fiery performances. With a sly play on genre tropes and a refreshing dose of social commentary, Halloween is a welcome addition to the horror canon. It offers genuine scares while critiquing a modern desensitization to mass violence and challenging the stereotypes of female horror protagonists. Keep Reading

1 2 3 29
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top