This classic French dish is savoury and sophisticated, but also simple and student-friendly. Not only is it acceptable to eat for any meal; it’s also a great way to use up whatever is left in your fridge. Baking a flaky pastry crust has never been so easy.
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil (olive oil gives a distinct flavour, although any oil should work)
1/4 cup ice water
1 & 1/2 cups milk (can substitute 1/2 cup with cream)
1 cup cheese (shredded or crumbled)
1 cup chopped filling ingredients (onion, tomato, pepper, broccoli, spinach, bacon, mushrooms)
1. Preheat oven to 400oF.
2. Combine salt and flour in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl, whisk water and oil until thick.
4. Pour oil and water mixture into dry ingredients and stir until completely mixed.
5. Press dough into 9” pie dish.
6. Put filling ingredients and cheese into dish.
7. Whisk together egg and milk in a bowl and add to dish.
8. Sprinkle extra cheese on top if desired.
9. Bake for roughly 40 minutes or until cooked through.