Being the strawberry addict that I am, the return of strawberry season is for me one of the most exciting aspects of the arrival of spring. As soon as fresh, inexpensive strawberries are available, I eat them on their own, in salads, over vanilla ice cream, and any other way I can think of. You can imagine, then, my elation upon discovering a spring cocktail made with loads of fresh strawberries.
The strawberry-basil mojito – a surprisingly delightful and refreshing twist on the traditional Cuban highball made with rum, mint, and lime – is the perfect spring cocktail. Though it’s hard to improve on a classic drink like the mojito, this perfect combination of flavours creates a drink that’s even better than the original. Perfect for sipping drinks on the patio or to accompany a light spring meal, this concoction replaces the standard mint leaves and lime with fresh basil leaves and strawberries for a wonderful new taste.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 8 large, fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup club soda
- Place basil and sugar in a glass and mash until mostly combined.
- Add strawberries and continue mashing until somewhat blended together.
- Add the mixture and rum to a cocktail shaker (a chilled coffee thermos will work in a pinch).
- Add ice and shake well.
- Pour back into the glass and add club soda on top.
Makes 2 drinks.