¾ cup granulated sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter
3 pinches coarse salt
12 ounce loaf challah bread, cut into ½ inch slices
8 large eggs
1 cup 2% milk
¼ cup crème fraiche, plus ¾ cups to serve
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1. To make caramel, in a small saucepan heat sugar, butter, and salt on medium heat for 8 minutes or until sugar begins to brown.
2. Reduce heat to medium low and stir, mixing sugar and butter together until the caramel is a copper colour.
3. Pour the caramel into a casserole dish and tilt to just coat a bit of the sides of the dish.
4. Place dish in refrigerator for 30 min to allow caramel to solidify.
5. Remove dish once cooled and assemble bread within dish in an overlapping, circular fashion.
6. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup milk and ¼ cup crème fraiche.
7. In a large bowl whisk together eggs and the milk- crème fraiche mixture. Once smooth, add vanilla extract.
8. Pour mixture over the bread, ensuring all bread is soaked.
9. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator overnight.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Unwrap dish and bake for roughly 30 minutes or until centre is no longer wet, but still moist.
3. Cut around the edges of the dish, place a serving plate on top of dish, and flip pudding onto serving plate.
4. Serve pudding with the crème fraiche that was set aside.