While eggs are delicious and cheap, many do not know how to cook them properly. All too often, eggs are overcooked and rubbery. Learning how to make scrambled, boiled, and poached eggs can greatly diversify your diet or improve your homemade eggs benedict.
· 3 large eggs
· 6 tbsp milk
· 1 knob of butter
1) Whisk eggs together with milk and any desired seasonings (eg. salt, pepper, oregano). Make sure eggs are well combined and the consistency of the eggs is uniform.
2) Heat a frying pan (preferably non-stick) for one minute over medium heat. Melt the butter but do not allow it to brown.
3) Pour the egg mixture into the pan, and let the mixture sit for about 10-15 seconds without stirring.
4) Next, stir continuously until eggs begin to hold. When eggs are mostly set with a few slightly running sections, take the pan off the heat and allow eggs to continue to cook in the pan off the heat.
1) Put eggs in a pot and fill pot with enough cold water to cover the eggs completely.
2) Heat pan over medium heat.
3) For perfectly soft-boiled eggs with runny yolk, time 2-3 minutes after water begins to boil.
4) For perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs, time 9-10 minutes after water begins to boil.
· Use older eggs for easier peeling after cooking.
· Run pan under cold water for a few minutes
Poached Eggs (2 methods)
· In a pan, boil water with approximately 2 tablespoons of white vinegar.
· Once water boils, crack an egg into a cup.
· Before putting egg into boiling water, use a spoon to swirl the water for about 30 seconds creating a whirlpool. The whirlpool allows the whites to keep together while poaching the egg.
· Gently pour the egg into the water and allow cooking for 2-4 minutes, depending on how you like your egg cooked (2 minutes for soft, 4 minutes for firm).
· Remove eggs from water with a slotted spoon to allow them to drain.
· Fill a microwaveable cup with ½ cup of water.
· Gently crack the egg into the water. Make sure the water covers the egg completely.
· Cover the cup with plastic wrap and microwave for one minute.