Last week, we discovered something that will forever change the way you think about cupcakes: you can bake them in ice cream cones. While you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t like cupcakes, the edible cone far surpasses the traditional paper cup. You can make these using any cupcake and frosting recipe, but for this version we wanted to stick with an ice cream theme, so we chose to make these tasty treats orange creamsicle flavoured. We used Martha Stewart’s orange vanilla bean cupcake recipe with our own whipped cream meringue frosting. Despite our whipping efforts, the frosting didn’t fluff, or as every cookbook would put it, the stiff peaks did not form. Nevertheless, it still served as a nice dip for our conecakes.
Ingredients & Directions:
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp vanilla (divided)
1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
2 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
12-14 ice cream cones
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream butter, sugar, two tbsp vanilla, and orange zest until fluffy. Add eggs, beating well until smooth.
2. Combine cream, orange juice, and one tbsp vanilla extract in a small bowl. Set aside. Mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with cream mixture (flour, cream, flour, cream, flour). 3. Make sure the mixer isn’t on high speed unless you want flour all over the kitchen. Divide batter among ice cream cones. You can fill them up to the brim. Bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool for roughly 10 minutes before frosting.
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp orange zest
2 tsp vanilla
1. Whip egg whites “until soft peaks form.” Add sugar and continue to whip until stiffer peaks form. Make sure you use an extremely clean bowl as any grease in the bowl will prevent the egg whites from forming peaks.
2. Whip cream with vanilla and orange zest in a separate bowl.
3. Fold egg whites into whipped cream
4. Dip cones into the frosting.