Chicken fingers are one of the most popular comfort foods. While the grocery store might offer moderately priced frozen versions, it’s actually quite easy (and cheaper) to make your own. Homemade chicken strips are healthier than their fast food alternatives, and they’re more delicious. These can be made in bulk and saved in the freezer for midnight snacks.
2 chicken breasts
2-3 c. flour
3 c. bread crumbs
4 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the over to 350 degrees.
2. Cut each chicken breasts into 4 or 5 strips. Be sure to trim the breasts of any excess fat missed by the butcher.
3. Mix the flour with salt and pepper on a plate.
4. Crack the eggs and beat well in a bowl.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs with paprika and red pepper flakes on a separate plate.
6. Coat each strip first in flour, then dip in egg, and finally in the bread crumb mixture. Set the coated strips aside.
7. You can either pan-fry the strips in butter and olive oil for 2 or 3 minutes per side before baking, or bake them straight away on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes.
Serve these with your favorite side dish (I suggest french fries) and ketchup, mustard, or barbeque sauce. Feel free to change the spices mixed in with the bread crumbs.