Having holiday bread and cheese withdrawal? Fear not. This baked brie is easy, oh-so-delicious, and guaranteed to disappear in 10 minutes or less. It’s served with caramelized onions and wrapped in puff pastry. If you don’t like onions, you can use cranberry relish and almonds, or even raspberries tossed in a little flour and sugar. Get some friends together, grab a bottle of wine (or several) and a couple baguettes, and relive the food comas of winter break.
One 8″ wheel of brie
One package puff pastry, thawed
3 large onions, julienned
3 cloves garlic, minced.
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp brown sugar
1 egg yolk
Fresh thyme, minced
Flour for rolling out pastry
1 sliced baguette
A note on cooking wine: If you wouldn’t drink it, don’t put it in your food. A couple of good cooking wines are La Chamiza Chardonnay ($8.65 at SAQ) and Caliterra Reserva Sauvignon Blanc ($12 at SAQ).
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 9″ pie dish. Roll out each square of puff pastry. Cut one into a disc the same size as the brie. Roll the other out thinly enough that you can fold it around the sides of the wheel of brie.
3. Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until translucent and add the thyme. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about (25 minutes).
4. Add the minced garlic and cook for a couple minutes. Add the first 1/4 cup of wine. Stir until liquid evaporates.
5. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook the onions until they are soft and brown (about 10 minutes).
6. Add the remaining 1/4 cup wine and stir until the liquid evaporates. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Place the wheel of brie on the larger of the two pieces of pastry. Top with caramelized onions. Place the 8″ disc of pastry on top of the wheel and fold the larger pastry around the cheese so that you have covered the whole wheel without holes.
8. Place in a pie dish. Whisk the egg yolk with a little water and brush it over the top of the pastry.
9. Poke a few holes in the top of the pastry to let the steam out.
10. Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until the puff pastry is nice and golden. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes before serving with sliced baguette.