Curiosity Delivers.

(lactualite.com)

In conversation with the Kansas City Chiefs’ Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

Football/Know Your Athlete/Sports by

Balancing a full course load and extracurricular activities is demanding for anybody, but McGill medical student Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is more than up for the challenge—especially given his “extracurricular activity” entails a full-time NFL job.

Though Duvernay-Tardif’s short-term goal is to win Kansas City’s game against the Indianapolis Colts next weekend, his long-term goal has always been medical school. He walked onto his CEGEP football team and played while enrolled in the pre-med program. Duvernay-Tardif thought he would give up football after CEGEP when he came to McGill as a direct entry student; however, his love of the game proved too strong.

“Everyone was telling me I would have to make choices, that I couldn’t do both [medical school and football at McGill] at the same time,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “But, there was a big part of me that was missing it. I called the [McGill] coach [Sonny Wolfe] and explained to him the situation [….] He understood and I started practicing with the team about four weeks into the season.”

For most athletes, a sports scholarship is their window into an education—but for Duvernay-Tardif, it was the opposite. For the first three years of his McGill career, Duvernay-Tardif primarily played football as a reprieve from medical school. Even so, scouts soon started to take notice of his apparent talent and competitive spirit. 

“People were telling me I had a lot of potential, but maybe I didn’t realize it at the time,” Duvernay-Tardif explained.

An emphasis on gathering advice and support from his close network has informed much of Duvernay-Tardif’s football career, the beginnings of which were a family affair. He speaks fondly of his parents, who took him on a yearlong sailboat trip when he was still in high school. When CFL and NFL teams began expressing interest in Duvernay-Tardif, he hired his best friend from CEGEP–who was in law school at the time—to be his agent because it was his friend’s dream to represent pro-athletes. Mostly, he is incredibly grateful for the flexibility McGill has afforded him in allowing him to pursue his medical school and professional football dreams concurrently.

“We [The Dean of Medicine, Dr. David Eidelman, the Associate Dean of Medicine, Dr. Robert Primavesi, and I] planned that I was going to be able to do four months a year of medical school during the off-season and be in the States practicing and playing football for the rest of the year,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “[My] end goal is to be on the football field with a degree from McGill.”

“Medical school really helped me with the way I approach football. It’s really strategic […it has] helped me to be a student of the game,” Duvernay-Tardif explained.  “And the other way around, when you come back from playing a full season in the NFL, it gives you a great perspective […] it helped me to keep my composure and still have a logical approach a in stressful situations.”

The potential Duvernay-Tardif displayed as a Redmen has earned him a role as a starter in the NFL. It took a lot of work and Duvernay-Tardif certainly doesn’t take it for granted.

“This year, the biggest difference is my understanding of the game [….] I’m able to see the defence as a whole and understand the concept and what they’re trying to accomplish. This comes from film studies,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “The biggest part of preparation and training [for football] is done in the classroom. In this regard, medical school has prepared me for those challenges.”

Poutine or barbeque: 

“Poutine.”

Plateau or Old Port: 

“Plateau, just because I feel it’s more authentic and [there are fewer] tourists.”

Favourite place on campus: “Thompson House. After our exams at medical school, we would go there and have a beer and decompress and talk about the exam. That’s one of my best places to hang out on campus.”

Piece of advice he would give to others: 

“If you have a plan, take the proper action to make sure that plan can happen, and just go all out.”

Latest from Football

NFL Season Preview

As the NFL season approaches, the Tribune predicts the conference and Super
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top