Curiosity Delivers.

Behind the Bench

(Photo courtesy of Sebastian Herman)
Behind the Bench

McGill Intramurals ensures only the average survive

“This one game I was reffing, these two guys [...] got too tangled up, but one of them shoved the other guy and then they were face-to-face pushing each other,” B-league basketball referee Itai Nitsan said. “Of course, every player on the court runs into the middle of a scrum trying to calm it down, but in reality they just make the scrum bigger.” Keep Reading

Jon Jones after a brutal fight against  Alexander Gustafsson  (lowkickmma.com)
Behind the Bench

The cautionary tale of UFC’s Jon Jones

Jones’ highly publicized downfall has been just as rapid as his hard-fought rise. He isn't exactly a poster boy as far as sports idols go. Jones’ weaknesses don't lie in the technical areas of the sport itself, but rather his recklessness and lack of discipline. To see an athlete so technically gifted hindered by poor choices is truly disheartening for all fans of the sport. Jones has had numerous chances to redeem himself, but has failed to do so on all occasions. It could be argued that given his various incidents–including a hit and run in 2015–Jones shouldn't even be allowed in the octagon. Keep Reading

Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor  are the biggest PPV draws in the history of their respective sports. (foxsports.com)
Behind the Bench

MMA vs Boxing: The rise of the ants

“Elephants don’t beef with ants. An elephant is so large it doesn’t even see ants,” commented boxer Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. on a potential fight with mixed martial arts (MMA) star Conor McGregor. Although an argument could be made that boxing was bigger than MMA 10 years ago, Mayweather Jr.’s analogy doesn’t hold water in… Keep Reading

(Alissa Zilber / McGill Tribune)
Behind the Bench

Quidditch teams at McGill are more than just flightless brooms

The McGill Quidditch Club was created in 2008, becoming the first muggle Quidditch team in Canada and the only co-ed team at McGill. The sport has grown significantly since coming to McGill and competition to get on the team has increased along with the popularity of the sport. A second team, Canada’s Finest Quidditch Club, followed in 2012 due to high student interest in the sport. Keep Reading

Jurgen Klopp has been a breath of fresh air at the Kop. (www.mirror.co.uk)
Behind the Bench

In praise of Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool

The charismatic Jurgen Klopp arrived at Liverpool FC as a highly pedigreed manager last year. He previously led Borussia Dortmund–a mid-table Bundesliga club before his arrival in 2008–to two Bundesliga titles and a European Champions League final appearance in 2013. Liverpool fans anticipated Klopp’s arrival with sky-high expectations. For the first time in a while… Keep Reading

Vin Scully's last hurrah. (photo courtesy of ABC7.com)
Behind the Bench

The end of an era: A tribute to the great Vin Scully

When Vin Scully first started broadcasting Dodgers games in 1950, baseball had just desegregated. Mickey Mantle and Hank Aaron were the league’s MVPs and New York had three baseball teams. Dodgers games took place in Brooklyn, far from the current swashbuckling, free-spending Los Angeles iteration of the team. In those days, Vinnie’s voice was the… Keep Reading

1 2 3 9
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top