Curiosity Delivers.

Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction

Caffeine: A brewing controversy

Caffeine—a stimulant that is actually classified as a drug—is a saving grace for many students during exam season, when coffee and energy drinks start to replace sleep. Although this particular lifestyle can’t be described as healthy, the extent of caffeine’s harm is debated. Scientifically speaking, there is a significant amount of controversy surrounding the consumption… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Are vegetarians healthier than meat eaters?

Plant-based eaters come in many forms. Traditional vegetarians, also known as lacto-ovo vegetarians, do not eat animal flesh of any kind but will consume dairy and eggs. Pesco-vegetarians, or pescatarians, incorporate fish into their otherwise vegetarian diet. Vegans are those who abstain from all animal-derived products, including dairy, eggs, and honey. In addition to these… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Can vitamin C really cure the common cold?

It’s that time of the year again. Flu season is upon us, and everyone seems to be getting sick. Most people resort to their personal catalogue of remedies and preventive strategies to avoid the winter plague—among them, reaching for a bottle of ascorbic acid, or vitamin C. The theory that vitamin C could prevent the… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Chocolate is the ultimate love drug

Famously exchanged by lovers on Valentine's Day, tucked in an attractive heart-shaped box, chocolate is almost unanimously recognized as the sweet treat of love. Beyond being a sentimental gift to express affection, some believe that chocolate directly influences feelings of attachment and arousement, with the snack being historically considered as an effective aphrodisiac. While sinking… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: What is the placebo effect?

When you hear the word “placebo,” what comes to mind? A flashback to the 100 flashcards of Psych 100? Medical studies and controls? People tend to think of this phenomenon detached from their own lives. But, in reality, the placebo effect can have concrete physiological consequences and is frequently used in medical treatment, hitting closer… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is flossing beneficial for oral health?

Over the summer, the Associated Press (AP) sunk their teeth into a widely-held public health claim: Daily flossing is good for dental hygiene. Their investigative report revealed that there is very little evidence to back up the advice one often hears at the dentist’s office. Growing up in Europe, not a single dentist—whether trained on… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is MSG bad for you?

It seems like no food is safe anymore. High fructose corn syrup causes diabetes. Swordfish is filled with mercury, a neurotoxin. And the latest bad news? Bacon is a carcinogen according to the World Health Organization (WHO). When it comes to monosodium glutamate (MSG), though, it looks like science is on the side of tasty… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Is Blue Monday real?

Aside from being the title of a classic dance hit by New Order, the phrase “Blue Monday” is often used in reference to having feelings of sadness and anxiety upon returning to work in the beginning of the week; however, one specific Monday was singled out in recent years as being the bluest of them… Keep Reading

Fact or Fiction

Are monsters real?

Science has a reputation for refutation. But this is not always the case, and some researchers have found that monsters and ghosts might actually exist; however, maybe not in the way that people expect.  Zombies The concept of zombies originates from Haitian folklore, in which Vodou priests called bokors were reportedly able to turn normal… Keep Reading

Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top