Curiosity Delivers.

Fact or Fiction

(Lauren Benson-Armer / The McGill Tribune)
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Chocolate is the ultimate love drug

Famously exchanged by lovers on Valentine's Day, tucked in an attractive heart-shaped box, chocolate is almost unanimously recognized as the sweet treat of love. Beyond being a sentimental gift to express affection, some believe that chocolate directly influences feelings of attachment and arousement, with the snack being historically considered as an effective aphrodisiac. While sinking… Keep Reading

(Cordelia Cho / The McGill Tribune)
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: What is the placebo effect?

When you hear the word “placebo,” what comes to mind? A flashback to the 100 flashcards of Psych 100? Medical studies and controls? People tend to think of this phenomenon detached from their own lives. But, in reality, the placebo effect can have concrete physiological consequences and is frequently used in medical treatment, hitting closer… Keep Reading

Without sound scientific evidence, is flossing worth the hassle? (Ceci Steyn / McGill Tribune)
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is flossing beneficial for oral health?

Over the summer, the Associated Press (AP) sunk their teeth into a widely-held public health claim: Daily flossing is good for dental hygiene. Their investigative report revealed that there is very little evidence to back up the advice one often hears at the dentist’s office. Growing up in Europe, not a single dentist—whether trained on… Keep Reading

MSG consumption has been inconclusively tied to a number of negative symptoms. (foodrenegade.com)
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is MSG bad for you?

It seems like no food is safe anymore. High fructose corn syrup causes diabetes. Swordfish is filled with mercury, a neurotoxin. And the latest bad news? Bacon is a carcinogen according to the World Health Organization (WHO). When it comes to monosodium glutamate (MSG), though, it looks like science is on the side of tasty… Keep Reading

For some people, feeling blue during the winter months is normal. (cosmopolitan.com)
Fact or Fiction

Is Blue Monday real?

Aside from being the title of a classic dance hit by New Order, the phrase “Blue Monday” is often used in reference to having feelings of sadness and anxiety upon returning to work in the beginning of the week; however, one specific Monday was singled out in recent years as being the bluest of them… Keep Reading

(Elli Slavitch / McGill Tribune)
Fact or Fiction

Are monsters real?

Science has a reputation for refutation. But this is not always the case, and some researchers have found that monsters and ghosts might actually exist; however, maybe not in the way that people expect.  Zombies The concept of zombies originates from Haitian folklore, in which Vodou priests called bokors were reportedly able to turn normal… Keep Reading

IQ Mensa
Fact or Fiction

Does having a high IQ mean you’re smart?

News of 12-year-old Lydia Sebastian scoring 162—the top score—on a Mensa IQ test made headlines last week. People were astounded that a child had scored higher than both Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking.  While there’s actually no evidence that Einstein or Hawking ever took the Mensa IQ test, Sebastian’s score is still impressive—but not for… Keep Reading

Placeholder
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is it safe to pee in the pool?

With whispers of summers reaching into our Vitamin D deprived souls, many will soon head to the pool to cool off after soaking up the rays. But taking off a wet bathing suit to go to the bathroom is an undeniable pain. Many swimmers, especially those who spend long hours in the pool, don’t bother… Keep Reading

#TheDress is the perfect example of how the same image can be perceived differently.  (Photo courtesy of Yahoo)
Fact or Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Is it blue and black, or white and gold?

#TheDress became a viral sensation at the end of February, triggering heated arguments: Is the dress blue and black, or white and gold? Though the trivial debate was blown tiresomely out of proportion, the disagreements have revealed amazing differences in how our eyes and brains have developed to perceive colour. To see colours and… Keep Reading

Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top