Curiosity Delivers.

ABCs of Science

ABCs of Science

How peppers both produce and prevent pain

Scorching heat, exasperated breathing, and trickles of sweat aren’t necessarily the result of a lengthy stay in a sauna or running on a hot day. They can instead result from a bite of spicy food. The chemical capsaicin causes the spicy sensation that some hate and others love. This compound is primarily found in the… Keep Reading

ABCs of Science

What’s under the hood? The ins and outs of your laptop

When most people think about computers, only a couple of images come to mind: A laptop or a desktop with internet-browsing capabilities. However, a computer is much more than a tool for browsing Facebook feeds or doing school work. A computer is an information processor. It takes in raw information which is stored, later to… Keep Reading

ABCs of Science

La vie en jaune: Preventing damage caused by blue light

Midterm season is approaching, and with it, many hours of studying. After long periods of staring at a laptop screen, eye strain can break focus levels. Two factors cause this deterioration in focus: Intense concentration on an object within close proximity of our eyes, and the ‘glare’ of the blue light emitted from laptop screens.… Keep Reading

ABCs of Science

When is the best time to get sick?

Catching a cold in the morning or at night can make a big difference. A new study from the McGill University and the Douglas Department of Health Institute suggests that the severity of an infection might vary significantly depending on the time of day we contract a pathogen—an agent causing disease or illness to its host.… Keep Reading

ABCs of Science

Everything you wanted to know about hurricanes

Over the past few weeks, hurricane Harvey plummeted into Texas, and record-breaking hurricane Irma plowed through the Caribbean and into the west coast of Florida—with smaller hurricanes Jose and Katia. Technically, a hurricane is a tropical cyclone. According to NASA, the name “hurricane” is regional, applying only to tropical cyclones that form over the Atlantic… Keep Reading

Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top