Curiosity Delivers.

Off the Board

Off the Board

You are what you eat

Dairy, fish, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, tree nuts, peanuts, and shellfish. Seven rules for feeding me, or rather, what not to feed me—seven allergens that are ingrained in my memory. This list is a part of who I am. And no, it’s not easy navigating the world of food with a list of allergies like… Keep Reading

Off the Board

What is an “internship?”

For me, and hopefully for many other McGill students, this academic year is all about honesty. School is difficult; let’s talk about it. I’m saying goodbye to “everything’s fine.” No more plastering a fake smile over my insecurities. I’m done with pretending. This year is about finding strength in vulnerability, which is why I’m taking… Keep Reading

Off the Board

“So what are you going to do with that degree? Any plans?”

Six years ago, I sat in a computer lab at my rural high school in southwestern Ontario for a mandatory course that the majority of my grade considered mind-numbingly dull: Civics and Careers. This one-credit program instructed 10th graders on ethics, resume-writing, and surviving the post-2008 labour market. Our assignment that day was to research… Keep Reading

Off the Board

National Geographic’s race cover story misconstrues multiraciality

When I first read Patricia Edmonds’ cover story on Millie and Marcia Biggs—half-black, half-white fraternal twins—for National Geographic’s April 2018 Race Issue, I felt conflicted. As a person of mixed race, with a father from Hong Kong and a mother of largely Scottish descent, I was happy for this family’s opportunity to share their experiences.… Keep Reading

Off the Board

Memes are best for roasting McGill administration: Change my mind

The “Change My Mind” meme emerged this past February, when a conservative commentator named Steven Crowder set up a table outside the campus of Texas Christian University with a sign reading “Male privilege is a myth, change my mind.” Crowder has a YouTube page and a podcast where he frequently engages others in discussions on… Keep Reading

Off the Board

Sidewalk etiquette: Talking the talk about walking the walk

Montreal is a wonderful city for walking—not only because of its pedestrian streets, quirky architecture, and beautiful street art—but because of the eclectic array of pedestrians strolling down the streets. There are arm-swingers, head-bobbers, aggressive J-walkers, and many others. Some types of walkers are unsettling, however, particularly during the slush-filled spring. In the weeks to… Keep Reading

Off the Board

Journalism still matters

Returning home for reading week often comes with the usual barrage of concern from my family over my choice to pursue journalism as a career. “Journalism is a dying field,” my family members say. “Anybody with a blog can be a journalist.” Yet, I could scarcely go a day without one of my friends or… Keep Reading

Off the Board

Hey! You should come see my band tonight

You’re at Café Santropol on a Sunday afternoon. Visibly focused on your work, headphones in, you become aware of a turtlenecked, tiny-hatted, vaguely stinky entity behind you. He won’t tap your shoulder, but as seconds stretch into minutes, you begin to turn your head, not quite toying with the idea of removing a headphone— Hey!… Keep Reading

Off the Board

Quebec safe injection sites need to catch up to fentanyl crisis

Since 2015, the fentanyl crisis has taken Canada by storm: The Public Health Agency of Canada estimated that over 4,000 Canadians lost their lives to opioid-related overdose in 2017. On Jan. 12, Dr. Carole Morissette, Montreal Public Health medical chief, delivered a public health warning to recreational drug users, signalling that the crisis had reached… Keep Reading

1 2 3 12
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top