Curiosity Delivers.

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Clarifying McGill’s student-athlete recruitment processes

In his Nov. 28 article in The McGill Tribune, “Selective success: A McGill recruiting story,” Patrick Beacham touched on several important issues relevant to recruiting; however there were several inaccuracies in his article that need correcting. Recruiting talented student-athletes is a complex process, much of which is governed by university leagues such as the U… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: The role of the Dean of Students

A student writes: “My sister is in the hospital—I’m going to miss a week of class, I have assignments due and I’m really struggling with my own mental health because of this. A friend told me that the Dean of Students can help—is this true?” While a core mandate of the Office of the Dean… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Not a free press without free speech

The McGill Tribune’s latest editorial, “If SSMU Council won’t stand up for campus press, students must,” claims that it is the The McGill Daily’s pro-Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) stance against Israel that in part fueled the events at the Nov. 2 Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Legislative Council. However, to frame the opposition to mandating… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: I work for SSMU. I’m giving the record some context.

As one of the Sustainability Commissioners for the 2017-2018 year, I’ve worked with almost all of the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Executives. When my contract began in May, I worked under the Vice-President (VP) Operations and Sustainability. When she resigned, my portfolio was reassigned to the SSMU President, Muna Tojiboeva. About two months… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Clarifying McGill’s Policy Against Sexual Violence

I write to respond to two pieces that ran in The McGill Tribune on Oct. 17: "Editorial: On sexual violence reform, it's McGill's turn" and Caitlin Kindig's news piece, "Our Turn action plan gives McGill's Sexual Violence Policy a C- grade." Both articles contain misunderstandings or incomplete information about McGill's Policy against Sexual Violence. I would like to… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Student politics can’t be apolitical

Last week, The McGill Tribune published a commentary piece by Gabriel Rincon that critiqued the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Vice-President (VP) External (my role) for taking political positions and participating in student demonstrations, supported by the underlying thesis that  SSMU executives “should represent the interests of all students, independent of politics.” Instead of going… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Hydro-Quebec and its relations with First Nations: Inflammatory titles are unwarranted and misguided

Many Aboriginal communities in Quebec live in areas with hydroelectric installations. Hydro-Quebec's liaison teams are made up of employees who work closely with these communities. Team members have friends and family among the First Nations; many have chosen to strengthen their knowledge of Aboriginal history and culture through postgraduate studies; and all work very hard towards… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: SSMU’s independence should not come before student safety

I respectfully disagree with the Feb. 21 editorial, “McGill Administration must support independence of student societies.” Igor Sadikov advocated for violence toward Zionists, which includes Zionist students at McGill. I am a proud Arts Graduate of McGill, and I identify as a Zionist. I know many others at McGill who would say the same. Sadikov… Keep Reading

Placeholder
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Fuck Jordan Peterson

I can’t believe we’re still talking about Jordan Peterson. I'm disappointed that the Tribune found it necessary to publish an article by Gabriel Rincon making the tired argument that there is somehow a deeper free speech issue behind Peterson’s transphobia (“Jordan Peterson’s real thesis lost in U of T pronoun debate,” Jan. 10). Spoiler: There isn’t. Despite Rincon’s claims… Keep Reading

1 2 3 7
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top