Curiosity Delivers.

Letters to the Editor

Letters to the Editor

I work for SSMU. I’m giving the record some context.

As one of the Sustainability Commissioners for the 2017-2018 year, I’ve worked with almost all of the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Executives. When my contract began in May, I worked under the Vice-President (VP) Operations and Sustainability. When she resigned, my portfolio was reassigned to the SSMU President, Muna Tojiboeva. About two months… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Clarifying McGill’s Policy Against Sexual Violence

I write to respond to two pieces that ran in The McGill Tribune on Oct. 17: "Editorial: On sexual violence reform, it's McGill's turn" and Caitlin Kindig's news piece, "Our Turn action plan gives McGill's Sexual Violence Policy a C- grade." Both articles contain misunderstandings or incomplete information about McGill's Policy against Sexual Violence. I would like to… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Student politics can’t be apolitical

Last week, The McGill Tribune published a commentary piece by Gabriel Rincon that critiqued the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Vice-President (VP) External (my role) for taking political positions and participating in student demonstrations, supported by the underlying thesis that  SSMU executives “should represent the interests of all students, independent of politics.” Instead of going… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Hydro-Quebec and its relations with First Nations: Inflammatory titles are unwarranted and misguided

Many Aboriginal communities in Quebec live in areas with hydroelectric installations. Hydro-Quebec's liaison teams are made up of employees who work closely with these communities. Team members have friends and family among the First Nations; many have chosen to strengthen their knowledge of Aboriginal history and culture through postgraduate studies; and all work very hard towards… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: SSMU’s independence should not come before student safety

I respectfully disagree with the Feb. 21 editorial, “McGill Administration must support independence of student societies.” Igor Sadikov advocated for violence toward Zionists, which includes Zionist students at McGill. I am a proud Arts Graduate of McGill, and I identify as a Zionist. I know many others at McGill who would say the same. Sadikov… Keep Reading

Placeholder
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Fuck Jordan Peterson

I can’t believe we’re still talking about Jordan Peterson. I'm disappointed that the Tribune found it necessary to publish an article by Gabriel Rincon making the tired argument that there is somehow a deeper free speech issue behind Peterson’s transphobia (“Jordan Peterson’s real thesis lost in U of T pronoun debate,” Jan. 10). Spoiler: There isn’t. Despite Rincon’s claims… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Indigenous students at McGill: Alive and well

Watching the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Winter General Assembly (GA) livestream as an Indigenous student was painful. Indigenous peoples' needs were brought out to support motions that had no active endorsement by Indigenous students. Our fights and struggles were discussed as a way to make issues relevant or motions were brought out by… Keep Reading

Bernie Sanders, Killer Mike, and Lil B
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Bernie Sanders’ campaign especially culpable in social media misinformation

In February, Jenna Stanwood argued in her piece, “Social media normalizes misinformation in US presidential primaries,” that users of social media have become swept away with catchy slogans and misleading information, to the detriment of good decision-making, and that this trend is a worrying sign for democracy. All of these points I absolutely agree with—but… Keep Reading

Letters to the Editor

Letter: Motion Regarding Support for the Kahtihon’tia:kwenio at the SSMU GA

On the motion regarding support of the Kahtihon’tia:kwenio Indigenous students at McGill University suffer from underrepresentation and, consequently, misrepresentation. Stereotypes, prejudice, and systemic racism are just the beginning of complex Indigenous relations at McGill. With only 230 Indigenous students attending the university, consultation with Indigenous students is simply overlooked. As coordinator of the Indigenous Student… Keep Reading

1 2 3 7
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top