Curiosity Delivers.

Letters to the Editor

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: SSMU’s independence should not come before student safety

I respectfully disagree with the Feb. 21 editorial, “McGill Administration must support independence of student societies.” Igor Sadikov advocated for violence toward Zionists, which includes Zionist students at McGill. I am a proud Arts Graduate of McGill, and I identify as a Zionist. I know many others at McGill who would say the same. Sadikov… Keep Reading

Placeholder
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: Fuck Jordan Peterson

I can’t believe we’re still talking about Jordan Peterson. I'm disappointed that the Tribune found it necessary to publish an article by Gabriel Rincon making the tired argument that there is somehow a deeper free speech issue behind Peterson’s transphobia (“Jordan Peterson’s real thesis lost in U of T pronoun debate,” Jan. 10). Spoiler: There isn’t. Despite Rincon’s claims… Keep Reading

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Indigenous students at McGill: Alive and well

Watching the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) Winter General Assembly (GA) livestream as an Indigenous student was painful. Indigenous peoples' needs were brought out to support motions that had no active endorsement by Indigenous students. Our fights and struggles were discussed as a way to make issues relevant or motions were brought out by… Keep Reading

Bernie Sanders, Killer Mike, and Lil B
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Bernie Sanders’ campaign especially culpable in social media misinformation

In February, Jenna Stanwood argued in her piece, “Social media normalizes misinformation in US presidential primaries,” that users of social media have become swept away with catchy slogans and misleading information, to the detriment of good decision-making, and that this trend is a worrying sign for democracy. All of these points I absolutely agree with—but… Keep Reading

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letter: Motion Regarding Support for the Kahtihon’tia:kwenio at the SSMU GA

On the motion regarding support of the Kahtihon’tia:kwenio Indigenous students at McGill University suffer from underrepresentation and, consequently, misrepresentation. Stereotypes, prejudice, and systemic racism are just the beginning of complex Indigenous relations at McGill. With only 230 Indigenous students attending the university, consultation with Indigenous students is simply overlooked. As coordinator of the Indigenous Student… Keep Reading

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Tuition deregulation is a gamble at best, destructive at worst

The Tribune’s editorial, “Deregulation at McGill should not necessitate an increase in international student tuition,” is inaccurate and unrealistic in depicting what tuition deregulation would entail for students. First, it fails to clearly differentiate between equalization and deregulation policies; it is possible to eliminate the equalization model in Quebec without deregulating tuition fees. It also… Keep Reading

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letters: SSMU Winter GA 2016 Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions

Editor's note: Ahead of the Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) Winter General Assembly (GA) the Tribune will be accepting letters on the subject of the "Motion Regarding Support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement." If you would like to join the conversation please send a 400-word letter (any letter above the word limit… Keep Reading

McGillTribune_Logo_Letters
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Crowdfunding and austerity

Thank you for your thoughtful editorial on the relationship between philanthropy and government funding (“When austerity strikes, McGill turns to crowdfunding,” Feb. 9). I agree wholeheartedly with your central argument that fundraising – whether through crowdfunding or other mechanisms – is no substitute for a government funding model that fully supports McGill’s needs and ambitions.… Keep Reading

tribune logo black
Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: Discouraged and overlooked, but still competing

In an article published in the Tribune on Dec. 1, entitled “Discouraged and overlooked, but still competing: A club athlete's experience at McGill,” the Sailing Team was profiled along with other club sports at McGill. The article sought to bring light to the underappreciated and often overlooked club sport athletes, an undoubtedly worthwhile cause. Club sport… Keep Reading

1 2 3 6
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top