The Tribune Explains

Tribune explains: SSMU’s motion in support of Dollarama workers

On Jan. 28, during a Students’ Society of McGill University’s (SSMU) Legislative Council meeting, councillors heard a presentation from an organizer of the Immigrant Workers Centre (IWC) about the poor labour conditions that some Dollarama warehouse employees face. Following this presentation, the Legislative Council voted unanimously to approve a motion […]

Tribune Explains: Dr. Charmaine Nelson’s Bicentenary Recommendations

Former McGill Art History Professor Charmaine Nelson, along with some of her students, released a 98-page research document on June 22, titled “Slavery and McGill University: Bicentennial Recommendations.” The document included an investigation of the connection between James McGill and transatlantic slavery, the biographies of people enslaved by McGill, and […]

Tribune Explains: Association of Graduate Students Employed at McGill (AGSEM)

What is AGSEM?  The Association of Graduate Students Employed at McGill (AGSEM) is the union to which teaching assistants (TA) and invigilators for McGill university belong. Founded in 1974 as the McGill Teaching Assistant Association (MTAA) and certified in 1993 as a union to represent Teaching Assistants, AGSEM is the […]

Tribune Explains: The Involvement Restriction Policy

The Students’ Society of McGill University’s (SSMU) Inter-faculty Involvement Restriction Policy (IRP) is a contract and policy that processes, investigates, and acts on complaints of discrimination, violence, harassment, improper conduct, or gendered violence. The policy aims to minimize harm and ensure the safety and wellbeing of the individual filing the […]