Curiosity Delivers.

Film and TV

Film and TV

Flashback: ‘Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story’ is mandatory viewing for McGill students, administrators alike

Mental health issues, and eating disorders in particular—being consistently gendered feminine—are exacerbated, downplayed, and ignored by patriarchal institutions. Frustration on the part of the victimized is understandable, and art can justifiably be deemed escapist in essence. Conversely, I present to you: Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (1987), a movie that refuses to allow marginalized voices to… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Blade Runner 2049’ sets a new standard for Hollywood sequels

For decades, it seemed like a Blade Runner (1982) sequel was doomed to be an artistic failure. Arguably Ridley Scott’s magnum opus, the cyberpunk cult classic lives on in major part because of its absolute disinterest in offering clear answers to the questions it raises. The prospect of a follow-up threatened to needlessly cast light on… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Dual documentary screening looks back on Standing Rock protests

Cinema Politica is a series of politically-conscious documentary screenings, taking place in movie theaters across Canada and the world. The latest edition took place at Concordia on Oct. 2, showing a documentary about the 2016 protests at Standing Rock directed by Michelle Latimer, herself a Concordia graduate.  The two-part documentary, featuring Sacred Water and Red Power,… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Professor Marston and the Wonder Women’ empowers its leads

Wonder Woman, one of the most prolific female superheros, only recently entered the Hollywood spotlight, from the smash hit Wonder Woman (2017), to her allegedly expanded role in the upcoming film Justice League (2017). Created in 1941, the character’s incredible origins, however, remained largely unknown. Written and directed by Angela Robinson (The L Word, D.E.B.S.)… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Resurrecting Hassan’ offers no easy answers

On Sept. 22, Cinema du Parc opened showings for Resurrecting Hassan, a documentary of local interest. Directed by Chilean-Canadian filmmaker Carlo Guillermo Proto, Resurrecting Hassan tells the story of a Montreal family coping with the loss of a child. Unflinching and quietly compassionate, Proto’s film is an examination of grief, and the ways we look… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘The Road Forward’ is an ever-vital call to attention on colonial injustices

On the night of Sept. 21, the Arts West Wing hosted a National Film Board screening reminding tearful students of the hardships that Canada’s indigenous population continues to face today. As part of its 7th annual Indigenous Awareness Week, McGill’s Indigenous Student Alliance (ISA) screened The Road Forward (2017), a documentary written and directed by… Keep Reading

Film and TV

“Dunkirk” is director Christopher Nolan’s most immersive work to date

Since his first film Following (1998), Christopher Nolan has proven himself to be one of the most ambitious directors of his generation. Many of Nolan’s films deal with complicated time structuring, turning his scripts into labyrinthine puzzles to be decoded, such as the amnesic haze of Memento (2000), Inception’s (2010) layered dreamscapes, and the theory of relativity… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Wu-Tang Clan’s RZA live-scores classic kung fu film

At the Rialto Theatre, on Friday, Sept. 15, Wu-Tang Clan frontman RZA hovered over his computer, smiling and quietly conversing with the DJ beside him. The two were positioned almost offstage that afternoon, preparing to provide a live-scoring of the 1978 kung fu movie The 36th Chamber of Shaolin. The crowd let out a roaring… Keep Reading

1 2 3 24
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top