Curiosity Delivers.

Film and TV

Film and TV

The Lost City of Z – Review

True historical epics have been lacking in recent years, as many of the latest film attempts have fallen flat (Ben Hur, King Arthur). Director James Gray’s breathtaking new film The Lost City of Z, however, proves that the genre still has much potential.   The story, which spans more than 20 years, begins at the turn… Keep Reading

A roundtable discussion on the Girls finale

HBO’s Girls aired for the last time on April 16. The series finale, titled “Latching” which garnered a wide array of reactions from film and TV critics, featured main character Hannah Horvath (Lena Dunham) in the early stages of motherhood, assisted by her best friend Marnie Michaels (Allison Williams). In what many have considered to… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Beauty, trauma, and remembrance in new documentary ‘Cameraperson’

Watching Cameraperson, the latest film by Academy Award-winning documentary cinematographer Kirsten Johnson, feels more like a slow walk through an art exhibit than a film. Cameraperson consists only of clips from past documentaries labeled by the location in which they were shot—the film thus remains opaque to the viewer for most of its 1 hour 40… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Logan’ is a fitting finale to the Wolverine franchise

X-Men films are a standard of the superhero genre, dating back to the first film, X-Men, in 2000. Over the course of the series, the original trilogy of films was joined by multiple spin-offs, including X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014), a weird quasi-reboot that confused many fans. One of the only constants in the… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Cinema du Parc gives back to the community

Cinéma du Parc is a small theatre, tucked away in the lower levels of the Galeries du Parc mall, but once in the shopping complex it is hard to miss. Its movie posters decorate the mall swalls and the delicious smell of popcorn often wafts its way up to shoppers. Upon entry, one is immediately… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Get Out’ busts the post-race myth with sharp satire

Jordan Peele, the comedian behind modern day classics such as “Key and Peele – Substitute Teacher” and “Key and Peele – East vs. West Coast Bowls,” caused a moderate stir last year when he announced that his directorial debut, entitled Get Out, would show him experimenting in the horror genre.  Following Peele’s action comedy Keanu… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Director Pablo Larraín paints complex portrait of Chilean poet in “Neruda”

Pablo Larraín’s Neruda is an impeccably crafted film, blurring fact and fiction to create something more engaging. The film is much more than a standard biopic of Chilean poet Pablo Neruda (Luis Gnecco). After the Second World War, Neruda—already an icon for his politically charged poetry advancing workers rights throughout Latin America—faced more pressure and… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Flashback: Trainspotting exposed the underbelly of ‘90s Edinburgh

“Sometimes I think people just become junkies because they subconsciously crave ay wee bit ay silence,” is the phrase that best describes Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting (1993)—the novel that inspired the opiate-ridden 1996 movie of the same name. With the release of its sequel T2 Trainspotting on Feb. 21, Director Danny Boyle returns with a revisited… Keep Reading

Placeholder
Film and TV

Pop Dialectic: Film Reboots

End the Reboot Hollywood and content creators of all kinds have always been influenced by those that have come before them. Some of the greatest films of all time are based on previous works: The Godfather, To Kill a Mockingbird, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest to name a few. But in the past… Keep Reading

1 2 3 23
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top