Film and TV

‘Happiest Season’ is a serious but sweet Christmas romance

Although Netflix and the Hallmark Channel may have separate monopolies on the GBCM (Good/Bad Christmas Movie), it goes without saying that camp fests like the Christmas Prince trilogy and the Princess Switch movies are not every viewer’s cup of tea. However, Hulu’s newest release, Happiest Season, is more in line with the […]

Destiel sings its swan song

Over 15 unrelenting seasons, Supernatural has developed a remarkably devoted and persistent fandom. The show follows brothers Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) Winchester, along with the angel Castiel (Misha Collins), as they protect middle-class Americans from mythical monsters while defying death at every turn. Castiel joined the Winchesters in […]

Femme Fatale demonstrates the resilience of femme-identifying filmmakers

From narrative films to political documentaries to abstract and surrealist productions, the Femme Fatale Film Festival has something for every type of film lover. The festival offers young women and femme-identifying filmmakers a means to showcase their work in an inclusive and empowering space.  Festival director Astrid Mohr, U2 Arts, […]

The Evangelical Crux of the Bachelor franchise

“Bachelor Nation,” as the viewership of the sprawling ABC franchise affectionately refers to themselves as, watched in awe and elation during last season of The Bachelorette, when Hannah Brown dramatically sent home Luke Parker—the season’s villain—during week seven. The two had bonded over their shared Christian faith, and Parker had […]

‘Emily In Paris’ is poised off of an idealized Paris

Netflix’s latest release, Emily In Paris, is a plethora of generic tropes, teeming with cultural stereotypes, questionable outfits, and overused plot lines that induce eye-rolls from even the most charitable of viewers. I binged it in two days.  The show revolves around 20-something-years-old American marketing extraordinaire Emily Cooper, played by […]