Curiosity Delivers.

Film and TV

Film and TV

‘Suspiria’ dances to a vicious conclusion

Suspiria, Luca Guadagnino’s remake, or ‘cover version,’ as he calls it, of Dario Argento’s 1977 horror classic, is a hard pivot from both its source material and Guadagnino’s previous film, Call Me By Your Name. Whereas those films isolated their characters to watch the play of emotions in specific environs—CMBYN in a bourgeois summer home… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘First Man’ shoots straight for the moon

Halfway through First Man, Janet Shearon (Claire Foy), wife of astronaut Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling), confronts a NASA official (Kyle Chandler) to demand information about her husband after a near-fatal test mission. Her response to the official’s attempt at reassurance is one of the film’s more memorable lines. “You’re a bunch of boys making models… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Dollar Cinema screens cult classic ‘Hausu’

On Oct. 31, Dollar Cinema hosted a special Halloween screening of Hausu, a 1977 Japanese cult horror film directed by Nobuhiko Obayashi. The film follows a schoolgirl named Gorgeous who, upon discovering her father’s impending remarriage, travels with six friends to vacation at her aunt’s haunted country house. Although the trope of the haunted house… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Mid90s’ tugs at familiar heartstrings

“I think it’s really dope that times are changing,” a grinning Jonah Hill said in an interview with the hosts of New York City-based radio show The Breakfast Club. In lieu of introducing himself, the 34-year-old actor-turned-director launched into a monologue about how exciting it is that counter-culture-centred media outlets are finally featuring mainstream celebrities.… Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Halloween’ is a fresh remake with substance and style

Halloween (2018), the reboot of John Carpenter’s 1978 horror classic of the same name, combines expert filmmaking and fiery performances. With a sly play on genre tropes and a refreshing dose of social commentary, Halloween is a welcome addition to the horror canon. It offers genuine scares while critiquing a modern desensitization to mass violence and challenging the stereotypes of female horror protagonists. Keep Reading

Film and TV

From the Viewpoint: The resilient whimsy of stop motion animation

This spring, to the beat of drums and the barks of strays, Wes Anderson released his second animated film, Isle of Dogs, nine years after his first, Fantastic Mr. Fox. Both are personal favourites of mine, and  both use the century-old technique of stop motion animation. Though I enjoyed both films immensely, I knew nothing of the laborious technique behind their distinct aesthetic, so The McGill Tribune sent me to the community focused Festival Stop Motion Montreal. Keep Reading

Film and TV

Stuff we liked this summer

Summer 2018 saw no shortage of consumable content. But while some plebs may have been watching Netflix rom-com To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before on repeat, or blasting Drake’s Scorpion, the A&E team had their ears to the ground. Here’s some stuff for your ears and eyes that we found especially cool. Keep Reading

Film and TV

‘Solo’ is pretty okay, I guess

For many Star Wars fans, there is a degree of apprehension about Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018). The second-most recent Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi (2017), received overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics, yet still divided the fandom in half—fans either loved it, or absolutely hated it. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has the lowest audience score… Keep Reading

Film and TV

Ethnographic filmmaking shines at FIFEQ

The Maison de la Culture de Cote-des-Neiges, and McCord Museum will host free screenings of the International Ethnographic Film Festival of Quebec (FIFEQ). This student-run festival of non-fiction filmmaking is celebrating its 15th year with its largest program ever, playing at UQAM, UdeM, Concordia, and McGill. Created in 2003 by a group of anthropology students… Keep Reading

1 2 3 28
Curiosity Delivers.
Go to Top